Saturday, November 16, 2013

A baking post... again

So I have been baking again today, and decided to document an experiment with muffins.

Normally I bake a lovely cupcake recipe I found online here http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm#6.  This recipe is fabulous and ticks all my dietary requirement boxes - gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free, dairy free. The only bit it doesnt cover is... what happens when all my chickens are either broody or off the lay and I have no eggs.

The nature of coconut flour is that it absorbs moisture at a great rate. It is, after all, around 50% fibre. So lots of eggs are usually used. I wanted to play with some of the vegan egg replacement options instead.

For today, I opted for the "flax egg", a teaspoon of ground flaxseed mixed with a tablespoon of water, per egg.

So.... in pictures, what has happened in my kitchen this evening.

The red liners are the flax egg version, the black belong to the egged up ones.

Needless to say, flax egg did not work in this recipe at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment